Kasumi Todo/Todoh. I can counterattack ANYTHING you throw at me! XD Plus, I really DO have dismissive daddy issues.
Somebody -still- owes me my hakama, btw. ;b
1) What was your FIRST video game console?
The Nintendo Entertainment System.
2) Name a few games you played on said console.
SMB series, Zelda I-II, Megaman 3-6, TMNT, Gauntlet, Galaga, Gyruss... there's hundreds more where those came from.
3) Excluding handhelds, how many VG consoles do you own presently?
Let's see... SNES, PSone, PS2 (stuck in DRE mode too... X$ I feel ya!), Dreamcast, does my PC count? If not, 4. And none current-gen. :| (I feel so naked without RockBand!)
*I've got one of those families that thinks you only need "one box at a time" hooked up. Dumbasses!
4) Were you a Street Fighter nut? Any character in particular?
Yes, though it took a couple of years before I realized you had to roll motions, and not "tap them in sequences." '^.^ This skill also made me badass at ParaPara Paradise. I can hold my own on pros, but I don't play professionalized-spam (Crouch-cancels in SFA3, for example). I can play most chars pretty well, but my top scores are consistently with Sakura.
5) Do you think Capcom is a FUCKING awesome company with kickass character designs?
Character designs, perhaps. Game designs, I think is more along your opinion - but since MvC (last game I remember REALLY enjoying from them), it seems like they're focusing too much on pretty, detailed animations and less on action-packed pacing. Play MegaMan 3 and MegaMan 8 back to back, and you'll see immediately what I'm talking about.
Also, I fear for SF4. :(
6) Here's the scenario.. You had some friends over and you all ate FRIED CHICKEN! After the meal you all decide to play some video games. As your friend reaches for a controller you notice his/her hands are very "greasy." Are you the type that would insist they wash their hands before pawing the controller, or is it no big deal?
Finally, NOT a pizza party! (I hate pizza, but love chicken - so I'm right at home with this one.) But yes, if they're grabbing MY controllers, wash up (or at least wipe really really good). But most often when there is VG-get-togethers, we all bring our own pads anyways, so this is usually a non-issue.
*-Why don't games like fighters allow multiple configurations to be stored, and accessed between matches? That would be SO badass-convenient for party-gaming!
7) What's your favorite RPG/Action RPG?
The one in Duke Nukem 3D, of course! But seriously now: Chrono Trigger (for the Epic Win). After that, maybe FinalOxymoron VI (though all of the FF's from there on have been craptacular. IX was kinda close to getting me back in, but it just lacked... you know, SOMETHING...). Super Mario RPG was kickass too, but I haven't owned a Nintendo console since SNES - so I haven't played any of the Paper Mario ones. :(
8) Do you prefer 2D games or 3D games?
Depends on how it's executed. I've seen good games and trashy games produced in both forms (look at the whole slew of Spider-Man games, for a perfect example).
I do notice a very unrealistic expectation of 3D games, though - they're expected to play as simply-structured as 2D games, and also to be as rich and complicated as a 3D "real" world, which doesn't mesh too well very often. Especially when it comes to camera-action; which it seems there's barely a right way to do it at all (and it's so basic, the games themselves might as well still *BE* 2D).
9) Are you an SNK fan?
Yes. But to be honest, recent KoF announcements/activity have me fearing it's going to be screwed very shortly. :( XII with only 20 chars, all of them old school save for Ash & Co., with a retard-counter and a corner-trap-encouraging system? An ill-fated KoF movie, about "traveling between dimensions?" NGBC - one of the best lineups ever created - with a "one credit every 5 minutes, regardless of how good you are" system? And the fact that the most promising release, "'98 Ultimate Match," is simply what Dream Match shoulda been 10 years ago?
9') Are you good at DDR?
I can pass Fascination -eternal love mix- in arcades on Single Heavy without touching the balance bar. :) I would hope so. I've also A'ed Arrabbiata and Pluto on Double Heavy. PLUS, I show off.
10) Who wants to kick that dog's ass from Duck Hunt?
He never laughed at me enough to piss me off. Whoever decided to make "Gang-C" and "Police" look nearly identical on Hogan's Alley? NOW we're talkin'.
11) Have you skipped out on important events in life because of video games?
Life has events more important than gaming? ?.? (/sarcasm)
12) Do you listen to video game music?
*looks at WMP, and my playlist of "Rockman: The Power Battle/Fighters" compiled on shuffle...*
13) Have you ever cosplayed a VG character?
Unfortunately not. And I'm almost 30, now! Crap! Costume ideas/designed and scrapped already include Terry Bogard, Billy Kane, and MegaMan. :|
Oh, wait! There was one time I went out on Halloween as Ash Ketchum... that year the Pikachu/Charmander costumes were out. I had a full rack of PokeBalls on me, too. That was one FUN year! XD
"Yes! I nailed you. You've gotta get inside the ball, now." Good times. :)
14) Have you ever been in an arcade playing a fighting game, KICKING ASS, and then some 6 year old Asian kid comes in and OWNS YOU??
Nope. BTW, I would like to apologize to the Earth for starting the "Molecular Shield assist" business... 9.9 (I once got a 4-million-plus score with about 12 Perfects using Doctor Doom in MSH!)
Except on SoulCalibur/Tekken 3. :| Damned cheesable characters.
15) Name three games you would love to see remakes of if it was done properly.
Final Fantasy VI. SNK vs. CAPCOM: MotM (yes, the NGPC one - and sadly, it's probably the funnest of them all). And I'm presently working on a "RockMan Supreme" endless-style pseudo-remake; in which I intend to recreate two sequences of every console-based level, one of every GB game level, and at least one custom one for each robot master/level concept. With NES-pacing, and possibly SNES-graphics (it's in NES-style so far, but I intend to do graphic-revision options, too).
*EDIT: After answering 25; GAUNTLET should be a must. Instant-trip-to-the-top.
And there it is!
16) Mario or Sonic?
What ever happened to predictability? The newsman, the paperboy... evening TV?
17) When a movie shows up in the theaters, let's use Spider-man as an example, are you likely to buy the GAME version?
Usually not. History and "moviemaking science" means that a good movie will almost always lead to a terrible game, and vice versa. Comic-based ports to both can fair alright, but then, they BOTH will always pale in comparison to their comic origins. And an occasional mass-marketing can of hairspray like "TMNT2: Secret of the Ooze" will pop out too, so be careful!
The only thing that scares me more than "KoF: The Movie" right now, is the idea of "KoF: The Movie: The Game." *shudders*
18) What is your LEAST favorite genre of video games? (ex. fighting, sports, shooters, etc.)
Sports, by far. On occasion, you get a fun out-of-the-box kind of game like NFL Blitz, but that's usually the exception, not the rule. If I want to play a sport, I grab a ball and go outside.
A close-second is the FPS... not because it's a bad kind of game, but if you've played one, you've played them all. Tactics and general weaponry are pretty much universal, all that differs is the look/layouts. At least Duke Nukem 3D took an interesting spin with it's modern, urban setting; a nice emphasis on exploring/secret-discovering, and it's theme-based bonus-slash-shortcut areas. It's like a FPS rendition of Coin Heaven. :)
19) Is there a game out there that you feel was unique and didn't get enough love?
Once upon a time, that was SF3. Then it was DDR. Now? Press Your Luck. XD
20) Have you ever verbally abused a game because you couldn't beat one of the levels and/or bosses?
Yes, I did. I was a CHILD, for crying out loud, playing games like MegaMan 3! What do you expect?! *lol* (Also, I played SMB for over a year, before I knew what the "run" command was. Levels 3-1 and 8-2 pwned me.)
21) Do you own any VG apparel?
Just a couple of things.
22) What are your thoughts on the live-action Super Mario Bros movie?
Let's pretend that never happened. (I took 20 HP damage just READING that.)
23) On that note, what did you think about the live-action Street Fighter movie?
My first thought after seeing it? "WTF was THAT?!" >.<
Now? Shit like THIS is why other uninformed people associate gamers with mental issues. Games are not meant to be movies.
24) Who's hottest out of the KOF chicks?
I'm gonna say Luise Meyrink. And damn you for saying otherwise. :b (You know who you are.)
*Angel is one of maybe 5 characters in THE ENTIRE SERIES that I can't play worth a shit with. In fact, she's probably my second worst, only behind Gai Tendo.
25) Do you say "old-school" a lot when you're having a VG conversation with others?
Depends on who it's with. Usually, it's with people already in "the know" of what I'm talking about; but on occasion, somebody will confuse Gauntlet I/II with crap like Legends/Dark Legacy. (It's not *just* Capcom doing the pretty-animated vs. real pacing thing.)
26) Have you ever lent someone a game and they returned it to you damaged?
Something like that, yes. It's all water under the bridge, now.
27) Do you own any imported games?
Just DDR titles, PS1-PS2.
28) Are you ready for this meme to be over, or could you keep going?
It does take a long time to do, doesn't it?
29) In this scenario, let's pretend you're going to get a video game tattoo! What would you get and where?
Probably the "Screw Attack" from Metroid, on my belly/waistline, with an arrow pointing down. XD
30) Have you ever cried after you beat a game? If so why?
Gauntlet Legends. Because it hurt that freaking bad!